Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Wednesday Morning; A New Day!

Today I will travel from Weaverville down to Napa for a conference. I will be at the Marriotts. The Policy Forum officially starts on Thursday morning, but I will be able to check in and attend some events later today. So this week end I hope to be able to begin the last big push of the year on getting things together on the farm. The electric fence needs to be activated to keep the bears out. Luckily, there is no sign that they have been around, but with the apples coming on, they can smell them from a long way off. Just will help me sleep better knowing there are 5000 watts of power pulsating around the orchard 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Once a few years back Olga was walking with me around the outside of the orchard and there was a decline and it was a bit slippery on the weeds and gravel. She reached out and grabbed the fence to steady herself, and kaablaam!! There was a loud scream. She landed on her butt and we all found out just what a bear might feel if it attempts to scale this particular fence. Once Olga stopped crying, she was actually fine. She doesn't seem to have the same level of passion for the orchard since that event. Hummm? So I have repairs to do to get the electricity flowing again, but, it is likely that I can accomplish this as a project in one day. Twenty five years ago I purchased some apple trees from an antique apple nursury in Sebastopol. These were trees grown from old time stock, and, funny it has taken them so long to produce. This year, they are loaded with apples, and I will be sampling to find out just which ones are ready for picking. Yes, more miracles on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment