Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Time for New Trees!

January is bare root season, and, we are taking full advantage of that opportunity. This year, on Sunday January 10th, I planted two Arkansas Black and two "Crippen" Pink Lady apple trees. It is always a creative effort to find new space in the existing orchard. This season I felt inspired to go with the old adage, "Out with the old and in with the new!" I dug out two very old Apricot Trees that have never actually produced any fruit, to allow their space to be given to these new members of the orchard. Although it pulled at my heart strings some to see these two trees go away, as the blossoms are utterly beautiful, I need to remember that the current mission of the orchard is to produce apples. With that in mind, things are moving in the direction they are.
I also dug up a volunteer apple tree under the Gravenstein that is getting too big to remain where it is. Assuming it survives the transplant, this tree will be on the list of trees to be grafted this spring. When the weather warms, I will be bringing the camera to capture more pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Michael also struggles to find new space for new trees. I think he is planning to do what you did and take out a few to bring in something new. He is at the scion exchange today!

    ReplyDelete