Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Big Freeze of 2009!

Last week Alaska opened the refrigerator door and a very cold mass of air enveloped California for a few days......it was cold! It got down to 5 degrees in Trinity County and about 10 in places around Mendocino County. As usual, the pipes burst and the plumbing supplies went sailing out the door at the hardware stores. I thought we were pretty safe against the cold, but, mother nature proved me wrong. The inline water filter shattered and that took the whole system out until things thawed and the water started flowing again. The problem is, once everything freezes, you can't tell where the leaks are.....you just have to patiently wait so you can begin fixing things. I also lost some argicultual fittings at the outlet to one of the big plastic tanks. That still has to be repaired, but not to worry, there will be plenty of opportunity to repair that before it is needed. After the freeze the rains came, which are a most welcome relief after the bitterly cold period. The hydro is now flowing and creating about 62 amps of power a day. The road is soft and will need some more gravel as a temporary solution in order to get in and out of the cabin. I plan to do that on my next trip up. Oh the joys of ownership! Actually, I am not complaining; I love my land!

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you love your land! It is most amazing how much energy you put into the care and maintenance of your home away from home. I am sure it feeds you well!

    ReplyDelete