Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Graft of an "Elephant Heart"


Ok here is what happened. I planted a Haricot Apricot two years ago. As is often the case, it was on the hardier rootstock of the Mariana Plum. Never had much luck with apricots, but I love them so much, and I had never tried this variety, thought I'd give it a go. Well, you guessed it. Died the first year. Not the rootstock though; that sent out new thick calibered growth. The next year out, I pruned back all but one trunk and let her grow. This February I took a scion from an Elephant Heart Plum and grafted it onto the Mariana Plum, and so far it is blooming out. In the picture, the old trunk with the label is just the dead wood from the Haricot; now using it as a support to keep the new Elephant Heart happy and growing to the Sun. Who knows, we may have plum pie down the road?!

5 comments:

  1. You trickster, you! Nice photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, and I just posted a story about a plum tree. Noel and plum trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JT, I imagine after all the years of seeing Michael play out in the garden that you are very used to such antics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am, Noel! I told him about your post and he commented that has 10 or 12 apricots starting on the graft that he did several years ago - He grafted onto an Indian peach tree - I don't think it does well with the peaches but the man is definitely persistent.
    BTW, I wonder if Olga heard us singing Happy Birthday yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To JT: Yes, Olga heard loud and clear! She says thanks.
    To Mark: Actually I enjoyed your plum tree post immeasurably! Haven't laughed out loud with tears in my eyes in too long. I thought maybe I should build a little shed next to this tree so that down the road, perhaps in 20 years, history can repeat itself?

    ReplyDelete